Update from Aid-india team in Nagapattinam & Cuddalore (India) at 8.40pm IST
This is an update at 840 pm on 29.12.2004.
I just talked to our team at both Nagapattinam and Cuddalore.
a. Clothes: NO CLOTHES. They are saying there are enough clothes. In fact there is a glut. Only if there are relatively new clothes etc., then we could think of sending. In spite of the precautions mentioned, lot of torn clothes have been collected and also not segregated so they are finding it difficult to manage the distribution there.
b. Food is needed. According to the classified list that we have sent earlier. Greater demand is for the milk powder.
c. Utensils are really badly needed. SO WE NEED TO COLLECT THESE AND A TRUCK WOULD BE LEAVING FOR BOTH CUDDALORE AND NAGAPATTINAM before 12 noon. So pls. coordinate with me, Saurabh 93425 43982 and Aradhana ( 98455 37269)
d. Medicines are needed. Lot of people called Priya that they would give the medicines to her but till this update not many people have given the same. We had to buy the medicines and sed it for now. If anybody is thinking of buying medicines pls. get in touch with me I have got a People's Health Movement organisation called as Locost which manufactures generic drugs ethically and are ready to help us out with this.
e. Venkatesh: If you are taking medicines with you, the people who are easily reachable are
Aravind (Cuddalore) : 98458 80660
Nitin( Nagapattinam) : 93437 02092
f. Volunteers: Things are slightly calming down, so they say they are able to get volunteers from the local public themselves for distribution etc., But we have started thinking of middle and long term measures in which there would be a survey done as to the actual needs of the people and then concentrating on holistic development. For this we might need a lot of volunteers who are able to commit some time. We would keep sending out updates on this, so keep watching. Actually for the mentally tough ones if somebody is really wanting to go then there is a need to remove dead bodies. So if some of you are ready for that then pls. get in touch with Nitin before leaving the place.
g. One more great development has been that Fabmall ( thanks to Arundhati and Rajesh) has offered to host the materials collected by us at their various godowns in the city. I would request all of you to pls. keep the collected material (utensils, blankets and food) . Can all of you deliver it to the nearest Fabmall by 12 NOON tomorrow so that a truck can leave by 1 pm.
The following are the addresses of the Fabmalls:
1. # 124, Surya chambers, Airport road, murugesh palya, B'lore - 17. Ph: 25918003
2. # 777 E, 100 ft road, opp. New horizon school, Indiranagar, B'lore - 38. Ph: 51159455
3. Fabmall C/O Bowring institute, # 2, St. Marks road, B'lore - 1. Ph: 51120917
4. Mantri paradise, next to HSBC, Arrekere main road, Bannerghatta road, B'lore - 76. Ph: 51305557/51107674
5. Fabmall, The Forum, Koramangala, Bangalore. Ph:22067650
6. # 183/184, Gandhi bazaar main road, Basavangudi, B'lore - 4. Ph: 51312136
7. # 2, P&T Colony, Gangenahalli, R T Nagar Main road, B'lore - 32. Ph: 51244411
8. # 28, New tippsandra, Opp Durga temple, B'lore - 75. Ph: 51261202
9. # 294, 4th Phase, 7th Block, 100 ft Ring road, Banashankari 3rd stage, B'lore - 76. Ph: 26694788
10. # 15, Service road, Bannerghatta main road, Opp Shoppers stop, B'lore - 76. Ph: 51209393
11. # 35, Mirage Point, S T pet, 80 ft road, Koramangala 4th Block, B'lore. Ph: 25501745
12. Mantri Residency, Near meenakshi Temple, Bannerghatta road, B'lore - 76. Ph: 51213058
The central coordinating persons for Fabmall would be Madan and Rajesh
Thats it for now.
PrasannaAID Bangalore / People's Health Movement
Tel: + 91 80 23353459 (R) and + 91 98455 18382(M)
Source: mail from Prasanna (Aid-bangalore)