Tsunami Help Home   Enquiry   Missing Persons   News Updates   Help Needed   Help Offered  

Tuesday, 28 December, 2004

Those seeking information about American Citizens

The State Department on Monday established a toll-free telephone number for inquiries about U.S. citizens affected by the Asian earthquake and tsunamis.

The public may call toll free at 888-407-4747. Overseas, people may call 317-472-2328.

Those seeking information also can contact the department's Office of American Citizens Services and Crisis Management at 202-647-5225.


2 Comments Post a Comment
Anonymous Anonymous said :

My friend is planning on flying to Bangkok to look for her brother, James, who is missing. James was on Phi Phi Island when the tsunami hit, and his family has not heard from him since. James was traveling with three other people who have already left Thailand. Because there is no one there who is looking for James, my friend has reserved a plane ticket to Bangkok, leaving the U.S. on Thursday. My question is: Is it advisable for my friend to fly to Bangkok to look for her brother and try to get information over there? It is very difficult for her to just wait by the telephone for any news. My friend does have someone to stay with in Bangkok. But, will it help matters for her to be physically in Thailand? I know that I would want to do the same thing. Will she be able to search hospitals and work directly with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs? Is access to certain areas like Krebi and Phuket restricted only to aid personnel? Any thoughts would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Wed Dec 29, 02:25:00 AM IST  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

From CNN web site:
The State Department issued advisories warning Americans to avoid travel to Sri Lanka, the Maldives and the southwestern area of Thailand. U.S. citizens in those areas were encouraged to leave as soon as safe transportation was available.

Thu Dec 30, 05:02:00 AM IST