Tsunami Help Home   Enquiry   Missing Persons   News Updates   Help Needed   Help Offered  

Wednesday 12 January, 2005

Yahoo! News - Fed-up Indian fishermen decide to do it for themselves

Yahoo! News - Fed-up Indian fishermen decide to do it for themselves

Tired of waiting for government help to repair his tsunami-battered boats, fisherman Mahil Vahanan decided to take matters into his own hands.
"More than two week after the tsunamis struck the government sent in a crane to lift damaged boats," Vahanan told AFP. "It tried to lift a small boat and immediately it stopped working."

The engine packed up.

"I have to try and make my boats work or I will be without employment for the rest of the season," which runs to April, he explained.

"No government official came here and asked me how to solve my problem. So I decided the best way is to ask for help from villagers."
1 Comments Post a Comment
Anonymous Anonymous said :

What has the world come down? This really says something about society.

Wed Jan 12, 06:47:00 pm IST