Tsunami Help Home   Enquiry   Missing Persons   News Updates   Help Needed   Help Offered  

Thursday, 6 January, 2005

India: Adopting a Tsunami orphaned child

Thanks to our reader for pointing this article out which gives details about how foreigners can adopt indian orphans.


1. Indian law has no provisions for foreigners to adopt Indian children, but under the Guardian and Wards Act of 1890, foreigners may petition an Indian district court for legal custody of a child to be taken abroad for adoption.

2. Following a 1984 Indian Supreme Court decision, non-Indians are required to work through an adoption agency in their home country that is licensed in accordance with local law and appears on a list of agencies approved by the Indian government.

3. Only an Indian agency recognised and listed by the Indian government may make children available for adoption by foreigners.

4. US citizens desiring to adopt Indian children have to file an I-600A petition before the Immigration and Naturalisation Service office in America. They have to submit the following documents before INS: (a) Court order regarding legal custody of the child; (b) Evidence that the child is an orphan; (c) Birth certificate of the child; (d) Two photographs of the child; (e) Payment of required fees.

5. In India, the foreign adoptive parents have to submit the following documents: a. Fingerprints of petitioner (and spouse, if married); b. Home study documents from an authorised agency in the US where the child will be adopted; c. Proof of petitioners' US citizenship (passport or birth certificate); d. Evidence of financial support; e. Payment of the filing fee.

6. Once the petition has been approved by INS and forwarded to the consular section at the US embassy or consulate, the adopted child must apply for an immigrant visa. The child must appear in person, but there is no requirement that the adoptive parents appear as well. Often someone from the child welfare agency will bring the child to the consular section for the visa and subsequently accompany the child to the US.

Read the Full Article on Rediff
5 Comments Post a Comment
Anonymous Anonymous said :

Very useful Tsunami web-site:

Thu Jan 06, 03:32:00 AM IST  
Blogger Caitie said :

are children available for adoption to the us?

Thu Jan 06, 03:45:00 AM IST  
Blogger susanaK said :

coke serves the world beverages????
I have searched Coke's web site and many other corporate websites to gather the numbers of corporate $$ going to tsunami relief efforts.

At this time: Coke and Colgate Palmolive have NO comment or mention of the tsunami. Calling Coke corporate relations, (I own Coke shares), they did read a statement....but 5 hours later, it is still not posted. Vaguely, they said their regional workers are distributing bottled water (could not confirm if this was donated time or materials). They vaguely said that their regional offices would know which local agencies could need assistance. They said corporately they will donate $10million dollars, but could not name a single location of where that money was going to.....

I called Pepsi, GM, GE, CitiBank group, and all had prepared statements (also on their websites). Vivendi Universal has not returned calls. Colgate was not reachable.

Has anyone else put pressure on corporations for assisting in the relief efforts?

Thu Jan 06, 05:07:00 AM IST  
Anonymous Anonymous said :

India: Adopting a Tsunami orphaned child

i would love to give a child a loving home and mommy and daddy who could love this child- a little girl who lost her mommy and daddy. we are a christian family with four childern of our owne, 4 boys.
is it posible to adopt a child who has lost her loved ones?

Thu Jan 06, 08:38:00 AM IST  
Blogger AlliesForBetterCommunity said :

this blog is a commendable job.

Thu Jan 06, 09:10:00 AM IST