Tsunami Help Home   Enquiry   Missing Persons   News Updates   Help Needed   Help Offered  

Friday 7 January, 2005

Malaysians Use SMS to Share Grief, Prayers, Condolences

Touching poems that conveyed messages of compassion and empathy for those affected by the tsunami formed the bulk of SMS text received for the Malaysian From the Heart SMS campaign, according to The Star Online.

“When I’m in bed, I’m glad for the roof over my head. When I take my meal, it’s their hunger I feel. I may not be there, it’s their nightmare I share,” wrote TLH.

Another self-penned sonnet from PAHLWN8 read: “As circumstances overwhelm & seem 2much to bear, may u look 2 God 4 comfort & strength, & release urself into his tender care.”

A hundred messages were received yesterday for the campaign, which is organised by DiGi Telecommunications, The Star and ntv7. The SMS campaign will go on until Jan 14. All proceeds from the messages sent will be donated to The Star Earthquake/ Tsunami Relief Fund.

Each SMS costs 15 sen and for the first part – “SMS Fund Drive” – DiGi subscribers can contribute money in denominations of RM3, RM5 or RM10 by keying in the amount (eg RM10) and sending it to 1996.

In the second part, “SMS Words of Support,” all mobile phone users can send messages and words of encouragement, which can be accessed on the DiGi website.

Malaysian mobile phone users will need to register by typing “FROM (space)(username)” and send it to 36677.
0 Comments Post a Comment